YOMO Week 4: Short & Sweet
Makarasana (Crocodile Pose)
This pose builds the exact strength and flexibility needed to support your headstand.
- Lie on your belly and roll your thighs in – inner thighs toward the ceiling, outer thighs toward the floor.
- Interlock hands to the webbing and place behind the head.
- Lift your chest and elbows from the floor.
- Extend from the bottom of the shoulder blades to the elbows and squeeze the elbows toward each other as if they might meet in front of your face.
Tips For Practice
- Keep thighs rolled in and legs extended without gripping the buttocks.
- The lift is literally from the lower shoulder blades up to the elbows.
- You might try to enter from Salabhasana (locust pose) to already have some lift of your chest before taking hands behind the head.
Ghomukasana in Tadasana
(Cow Face Pose Arms only while standing)
This arm action will build the flexibility in the shoulders and upper back needed for the elbows to stay put under your shoulders in headstand.
- Use a strap if your hands do not regularly meet.
- Take bottom arm behind and bend elbow to take hand up between the shoulder blades.
- Extend top arm up and bend the elbow to meet the other hand between the shoulder blades
Tips For Practice
- Make sure both upper arms remain close the the side of the body and the side of the head.
- Most of the action for this pose should be felt in the upper back and shoulder blades, not the shoulders themselves. See that your shoulder blades are pulling in and forward.
- Remain in Tadasana at the lower body. Tuck tailbone and thighs back.
(Wide Leg Forward Extension)
This standing forward extension is commonly given as an alternative to headstand and also a good preparatory head-down position for those who struggle with low or high blood pressure.
- With Paschima Namaskar (folded palms behind the back) you also will prepare back and shoulders for headstand position.
From Tadasana, jump or step your feet wide apart.
- Take your palms together behind your back and draw shoulder blades together to open your chest.
- Inhale and lift and extend your spine out of the hips.
- Exhale and fold forward from the hinge of the hips, extend the spine down toward the floor.
- Place head on the floor or prop to your capacity